The Larder Loaf - Lemon and Courgette Cake
Courgette and Lemon Cake
Have you been craving 'The Larder Loaf' whilst we have been closed? Me too!
This delicious loaf cake is kept light and moist by the courgettes in the batter. Not too sweet with a zingy icing. This is the perfect teatime treat, as well as a great way to use up all those seasonal courgettes.
I have included a note at the end of the recipe for flax eggs for those wanting to make this cake vegan. Don’t forget to tag @the.hungry.tribe with your creations. Happy Baking.
225g icing sugar
Juice of 1 lemon (depending on your preferred consistency)
- Preheat your oven to 160C (adjust accordingly for fan oven)
- In a bowl, beat together the courgette, sugar, egg, oil, vanilla, poppy seeds and lemon zest
- Sift the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into the bowl, and stir the flour into the courgette mixture until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared tin
- Bake 45-50 minutes in the centre of your preheated oven until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Mix the lemon juice and icing sugar. Adding the lemon until you reach your preferred consistency and pour over your cake. Finish with a grate of zest over the top.
TIP: Cover your tin with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking, to prevent over browning.
NOTE: For a flax egg mix 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 Tbsp of water. Pop in the fridge for 15 minutes to set up and thicken.